Monday, August 8, 2011

Charitable endeavors


For the second time, my coworker is auctioning off handmade items for charity on her blog. I wanted to create something different than last year, and what better inspiration than my recent trip to Italy with my husband?


The first time I visited Rome, in 2004, I returned to the Colosseum about
four times, alwaysat different times of day, to see how the light changed the shadows and colors of this amazing ruin. This trip was no different, and I was especially inspired by a photo I took on our last night in Rome -- accidentally in sepia tones because I was screwing around with my camera settings.
(Inspiration: Monet's Rouen Cathedral series, which I've been obsessed with for years.)


Since I screwed up the color settings of the photo, I just painted it the way I saw it in my head. I knew I wanted to use many transparent colors, and watercolors are great for that. I hadn't put any real efforts into using watercolors since high school, and when I realized I wanted to use watercolors, I went out and bought a set of eight. And came home and realized I really need to inventory my art supplies...

(You can't have too many!)

A few sausage-making shots, taken with my cell phone camera, just because I think it's interesting to see how these things evolve. In my case, it was layer by layer by layer; I just kept painting until things looked pretty to me. It took a few hours total, long enough for "Blazing Saddles" and Part I of A&E's "Pride & Prejudice" to play on the DVD player in my craft room. :) (What can I say, I have diverse tastes!)


In the end, I'm happy with the way this turned out. I didn't quite get the perspective I wanted, and by the time I realized that, it was too late to fix that problem, but I accomplished my goal of rediscovering watercolors and painting the Colosseum the way I saw it -- in so many different colors.

"Colosseo, Roma," 8" x 10" (matted to 11" x 14"), watercolors on paper, 2011

2 comments:

Hank Nuwer said...

Loved this one, Angie

Joyce said...

What a terrific glimpse into your creative process!